New homes
A flooded room

What to do in an emergency

What to do in an emergency

There might be a time when you have an emergency outside of normal office hours.  You will have a tenant’s pack with details of any service agreements which your landlord may have set up – check this for any telephone numbers and contacts which are already in place.

Before you call an emergency contractor, please call the Property Management team on 020 8687 8345.

Check out the property tips for tenants page and see if you can solve the problem yourself.

If you call an emergency contractor and it is subsequently not deemed to be an emergency, you will be liable for the costs incurred.

What to do in an emergency

Smell gas

  • Open the doors and windows.
  • Check to see if any gas has been left on unlit, or the pilot light has gone out. If so, turn the appliance off, and do not try to relight it.
  • If you are uncertain whether the leak has been stopped, turn the main gas supply off at the meter and phone the gas emergency service immediately:
    National Grid 0800 111 999
  • Do not turn any electrical switches on or off.
  • Do not use the door bell.
  • Do not smoke, use matches or naked flames.


  • In case of fire dial 999.
  • Get everyone out and do not go back for any reason.
  • Do not be tempted to go upstairs to collect pets or any valuables.
  • Close all doors and windows.
  • Warn your neighbours if any of them might be in danger.
  • If you live in a block of flats set off the communal fire alarm.

Bursting or major leaking pipe

  • Turn the water off at the mains.
  • If electrics are affected, turn off the electricity at the consumer unit (see helpful tips).
  • Call your property manager immediately.
  • If the leak is from another property ie a flat above try to contact the other property or if not at home try and call the block management company. Details should be on a communal notice board in the hallway.

Loss of electricity

  • If neighbours are also affected, call your electricity company (check your electricity bill for the number).
  • You can report the event to UK Power Networks.  Once registered and reported they will keep you up to date on when power should be restored.
  • Check your fuse box to see if a switch has tripped or a fuse blown (see helpful tips).
  • If none of the above apply and the problem persists, call your property manager.

Useful information for tenants